Sunday, October 14, 2012

Paris, Day 1--9/30/12

We arrived in Paris around 7 a.m., went through customs (during which I got another nifty stamp in my Passport, and Hubby was just waved through, since he's a citizen of the EU), navigated the Metra, and arrived at our hotel by 9:00.  Pretty smooth sailing so far!  The first thing we saw when we exited the Metra was this:



I have recently taken up running, and I had toyed with the idea of taking my running shoes with me, to go on a jog through the streets of Paris.  At the last minute I decided to leave them at home, rationalizing that we'd be doing so much sightseeing I wouldn't have time.  This proved true, but seeing a marathon the first thing out of the underground was kind of like God laughing at my lack of drive to keep up my running routine.  Oh, well...

After checking into our hotel, which was in the Latin Quarter and only a 10 minute walk from Notre Dame, we headed off to explore.  We were very hungry, and we happened upon what would become our favorite cafe, La Petit Cardinal.  We ate here three of the four days in Paris, and everyday we had coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice, a croissant, and baguette with strawberry jam...all for only 7 Euros.  Best.  Breakfast.  Ever. 





I seriously want to lick the screen just looking at that breakfast again...I.  Am Not Even.  JOKING.


After this we wandered to Nortre Dame, walked in, and oh, it was Sunday, so mass had just begun.  AMAZING.  It was stunning to walk around Notre Dame as this was happening. 



Across from Notre Dame was one of the places I wanted to see most: Shakespeare & Company, a haunt of expatriate writers in the 1920s, this house published James Joyce's Ulysses, was frequented by Hemingway, and is staffed by English and American students.  It was breathtaking.  I went back several days later, but this first time, I just wandered around the stacks.  *sigh* 



From here we wandered to the Museum of Modern Art, Le Centre Pompidou.  It was awesome.  The new statue outside was worth the visit: Zindene Zidane's infamous headbutt from the 2010 World Cup. 



There was also a rainbow room, a walk-in cave, and a Natalie Wood Andy Warhol print I'd never seen.  And, the views from the top were amazing. 



So...Le Centre Pompidou--amazing art? CHECK.  amazing views?  CHECK.  walk-up access to the much-coveted Paris museum pass that lets you bypass lines?  CHECK. 

 We were so proud of ourselves that we didn't sleep through that first day in Paris, even though jet-lagged.  It was a great first day in the City of Lights, and it ended with a viewing of the mid-season finale of Doctor Who, thanks to free wi-fi, iTunes, and the handy dandy iPad I got Hubby last Christmas. 

1 comment: